“we want to encourage all young people to behave towards others as they would be behaved towards, and we support people in need regardless of their personal characteristics or affiliations”
For information about our youth clubs and how to join, please see the section ‘Join Our Youth Clubs‘
Paisley YMCA prioritises working to support the development of young people in the Paisley area.
Paisley YMCA works according to Christian values: we want to encourage all young people to behave towards others as they would be behaved towards, and we support people in need regardless of their personal characteristics or affiliations.
We’re a membership based organisation, seeking new members who share the values above and to whom the Board of Management will be accountable. Our membership recruitment drive will begin after a forthcoming Special General Meeting sometime in October which will update membership terms. If you’re interested in supporting us, please watch this space or use the contact page to let us know and we’ll be in touch as soon as we’re ready.
We care about young people and we care about Paisley. We care, therefore, about the wellbeing of the people who form Paisley’s communities and we’re always interested in wider collaboration. Working to support young people in Paisley also means working in partnership with other agencies – there’s no one organisation able to meet local need.
The Mission of YMCA Paisley is to transform the lives of children and young people, empowering them to create positive change in their lives and communities.
Our values are that:
- We’re based on Christian values and is open to people of all faiths and none.
- We define Christian values as those which support people to behave towards others as they would be behaved towards, and to support people in need regardless of their personal characteristics or affiliations.
- We seek to work with all people in a non-judgmental and supportive manner.
- We strive to ensure that our universal community-based services are open and accessible to all at the point of delivery, and that our targeted services are offered to those who need them most.
Community Learning and Development (CLD) Values
YMCA Paisley recognises that its Christian basis is compatible with the values of CLD and so adopts these values as part of its own. These values are:
- Self-determination – respecting the individual and valuing the right of people to make their own choices;
- Inclusion – valuing equality of both opportunity and outcome, and challenging discriminatory practice;
- Empowerment – increasing the ability of individuals and groups to influence issues that affect them and their communities through individual and/ or collective action;
- Working collaboratively – maximising collaborative working relationships in partnerships between the many agencies which contribute to CLD, including collaborative work with participants, learners and communities; and
- Promotion of learning as a lifelong activity – ensuring that individuals are aware of a range of learning opportunities and are able to access relevant options at any stage of their life.
We seek for local young people the National Outcomes for Youth Work – that young people:
- are confident, resilient and optimistic for the future;
- manage personal, social and formal relationships;
- create, describe and apply their learning and skills;
- participate safely and effectively in groups;
- consider risk, make reasoned decisions and take control;
- express their voice and demonstrate social commitment; and
- broaden their perspectives through new experiences and